Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Success and Failure

Well another Day into the West method and I can already see improvement in the Little pup. She was standing tall last night and everything has become still tail included. She notoriously has a happy tail and I can still see it in her at times. Specifically last night she was doing so well that I was able to get around in front and act like I was flushing for her. I was actually able to get about 10-15 feet away with her loosing any composure. HOWEVER as soon as I went to return to her she got her happy tail...got to love a dog that is happy to see you...but that is not what we are working on. So when I saw this I decided although she was doing things well it was once again time to step back a little.

After last nights experience I decided on a specific game plan for this morning. The game plan was to only stroke her when she was absolutely still and facing forward. I was NOT going to attempt to get out in front OR to move away behind her. JUST to stand still completely.

I was lucky. The robins which are around every morning were particularly active this morning. So I utilized their activity to help me along in what I wanted. Zoe and I worked towards them for our stop and stand still work today. I was able to get 3-4 good stop and stand stills where I was just standing next to her. On the final on I took a single slow step back which she handled without flaw.

SUCCESS - The trainer and the dog are learning....I think I'll give Zoe/Me Friday OFF and just have fun with her...

On another note - Repeated attempts to utilize this to put a final polish on Ivy's work have been disastrous. She has NO concept of why and what I am doing with her. I have even tried to overlay the WHOA command that she already knows with NO success. Going to have to leave IVY alone and put the polish on the old fashion way....

No comments:

Post a Comment